Mungabareena Aboriginal Corporation (MAC) is a Community Controlled Organisation and provides a range of services for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people living within the Ovens Murray region.
MAC was established in 1994 by Local Aboriginal Community members with the aim to have a healthy and proud community through motivation, education and cultural acknowledgment and giving a sense of belonging.
12-month max-term maternity leave position
The Koori Preschool Assistant (KPSA) initiative now formally known as bupup balak wayipungang initiative, contributes to improved outcomes for Koori children from birth through transition to school. The bupup balak wayipungang initiative is a Victorian Government early childhood initiative that has identified several barriers to kindergarten participation that are specific to Koori communities and children, including the need for improved inclusion of Koori children and families, and embedding/ensuring Aboriginal perspectives throughout the service and program.
The Koori Preschool Assistant will support the development of a safe and accepting environment where the rights of all children are acknowledged, and individuality and creativity is encouraged and to ensure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and heritage is valued and promoted and to improve the outcomes for Aboriginal children through increased participation in kindergarten programs.
(to obtain a copy of the full position description please email HR@Mungabareena.org.au)
Koori access and participation
- Work collaboratively with the local community; funded 3- and 4-year-old kindergarten services; and other relevant programs and services to grow the participation of Koori children in kindergarten.
- Promote and advocate with/for Koori families to support their access to Kindergarten and provide support to kindergarten staff to ensure programs are culturally appropriate and inclusive, work with families to support kindergarten attendance.
Culturally inclusive and welcoming kindergarten services
- Work collaboratively with staff of kindergarten services (at all levels, including management, teachers, and educators) to increase their capacity to provide a culturally inclusive and welcoming service, including support to design and develop culturally inclusive curriculum.
- Engage with local Aboriginal communities to develop and support culturally inclusive kindergarten programs.
- Support community driven activities and projects that promote and assist family participation and kindergarten.
Family engagement and connections
- Build upon and strengthen existing relationships with funded kindergarten services and make information available to families and communities that enhances and grows the participation of Koori children across early childhood programs and services (e.g., family support services, playgroups, inclusion support, Maternal Child Health, etc.).
- Support and increase opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families to maintain access to kindergarten.
Qualifications & Checks
This position requires willingness to provide, complete and submit evidence prior to commencement of employment of:
- A current Driver’s Licence;
- A current Victorian Working with Children Check;
- A current Police Check;
- A Pre-employment Health Declaration; and
- Current Firs Aid, Asthma and Anaphylaxis Certificates.
- Desirable qualifications in Early Childhood Education, (Certificate III, IV or Diploma)
- Working experience in family and children’s services and/or the kindergarten sector is highly regarded.
- Sound knowledge of issues that impact Early Years education for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.
- Clear and effective written and oral communication skills that are readily understood.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, deliver and evaluate playgroup sessions.
- Demonstrated capacity to manage sensitive information, maintain confidentiality and the ability to always remain impartial.
- Knowledge of referral networks between kindergartens and other services
- Competitive salary package with salary packaging options.
- Gifted Wellbeing RDO
- Christmas and New Year period gifted.
- Culturally safe and inclusive work environment.
- Ongoing professional development opportunities and support.
- Access to laptop, mobile phone, and flexible work arrangements.
- Free and confidential Employment Assistance Program and more.
APPLYING FOR THIS ROLE
Applicants are required to request a Position Description for the role and submit a brief cover letter and resume.
Applicants should also address the selection criteria, setting out how they meet the essential and desirable requirements of the role. This should not exceed 5 pages.
Applications are open until successfully filled.
Applications can be submitted via email: firstname.lastname@example.org h
To apply for this job please visit www.seek.com.au.